Here’s a sobering statement: The overall success of a renovation or a remodel can be largely determined by decisions and actions taken well before the first hammer even hits the nail. It might sound surprising, but that’s just how important residential preconstruction is to the scope of your project.
Let’s dig into the specifics of what pre-construction services entail and why this step is so critical to your residential construction project – in Miami and beyond.
What are Residential Preconstruction Services?
Before your project gets off the ground, some serious planning needs to take place. How long this step takes depends on the size and complexity of your project, and it’s generally conducted in coordination with architects, engineers, inspectors, design consultants, builders, and, of course, you, the homeowner, and any other project stakeholders. The primary goal of pre-construction is to set the scope, schedule, and budget for the project — and gives you time to ask all the important questions. Pre-construction includes the following items, among others:
- Site analysis – Physically review the site and create a general site master plan.
- Permits and approvals – Ensure plans receive necessary approvals and project permits to proceed with the build. These vary from city to city and municipality to municipality, so it’s important to understand local processes and allow adequate time to secure permits.
- Value engineering – A project’s scope can quickly surpass the available budget if a well-defined project estimate is not used. Value engineering helps flag opportunities to substitute products, materials, and systems to better fit the budget while still maintaining original function and design intent.
- Buildability review – Clarify details, design documents, and decisions.
- Budget analysis – Align project goals and expectations with scope and projected costs.
- Scheduling and logistics – Proper planning and scheduling ensures that deadlines are met and the project progresses as expected.
“What value do pre-construction services add to my build?”
Building a home or undertaking a remodeling project is exciting. That’s part of why we love our job so much. But failing to adequately plan and prepare can spell big trouble to your budget, timeline, and overall expectations for the project. It’s important to resist the temptation to jump right to construction and renovation work with the thought that you can make important decisions on the fly. It just doesn’t work that way in residential construction. Nor should it.
Residential preconstruction planning allows you to see a full picture of your project’s scope, budget, and schedule while also bringing to light any anticipated challenges or red flags that could be detrimental to the project.
The foundation of a strong build rests on strong plans. Make sure you get your project off to the best start with pre-construction services — and take the time to make sure you have the right residential contractor for the job.
If you have more questions about what residential preconstruction is and why it’s invaluable to a build, give us a call at 305-790-1722 to discuss.